Sunday, March 3, 2013

Cafe Rio Pork

Okay, I made this tonight and WOW!!! I finally made it taste like the real deal!!! Here's what I did:

6lbs pork loin (I've heard shoulder is better for shredding)
1 2 liter bottle of coke (NOT diet)
1 can green chilies
1 jar pace salsa
1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
2 cloves garlic

Season the pork with salt and pepper. Cover with coke (about 1/2 bottle) and cook on high in crock pot for 2-3 hours. Drain off all liquid and dump it. Blend up chilies, salsa garlic and brown sugar. Pour over pork and let cook another 2 hours. Shred the pork. Drain off the liquid into a pot, add the rest of the coke and reduce the liquid by about half by boiling 5-10 minutes or so. Pour that liquid back onto the pork and let cook about another hour.

http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/2007/11/jared-and-i-love-cafe-rio.html

UPDATE: I cooked the pork shoulder like it says above, but after I shredded it, I drained it and then boiled 2 cups of coke, 1/4 cup brown sugar, garlic power, onion salt, cumin and chili powder until it reduced by about 1/2. Then I poured it over the shredded pork and let it sit in the crock pot for about 30 min before we ate. NAILED IT. I read that people use red enchilada sauce too but I didn't have any. 

No comments:

Post a Comment